Google+ Followers

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW / Falling Stars By H.D Gordon



Q&A with HD Gordon

Do you have a specific writing style?

Hmm, a writing style? I’m not sure about that, but I do think I have a definite voice with which I tell a story. It’s kind of like a singer. Each singer has a unique voice, but that doesn’t mean each song that singer performs will be of the same rhythm, or feel, or even type. I like to experiment with style, as it is a big part of how the story will read. Some stories are better told certain ways, so it is important to me to be open-minded when it comes to how to execute them. The hard part is deciding which “style” to go with to make the story as good as it can be.

Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?

They say you write best when you write what you know. I believe you write truer when you write what you know, so a lot of what I write is based on certain emotions I’ve felt, if not the experiences themselves. I try to touch on the human experience, but I try to do that through emotions, because while we all might not have had the same experiences, almost everyone has experienced pain, joy, suffering, etc. This helps me to ensure that my works are relatable to a good portion of people, and also to exercise my own demons. Of course, there is always a healthy dose of imagination as well.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

There are quite a few who I strive to be like. Mark Twain, Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, and the list goes on and on. These are people who inspire me, show me how great the written word can be at its best, and challenge me to reach higher. My mother also plays a huge role in my literary endeavors, because she is one of the most well-read people I know, and has supported me since I first picked up a pen and decided to write.

What book are you reading now?

I’m reading a very old book called Think and Grow Rich. It’s of a very philosophical nature, and I’m enjoying it very much. It is the kind of book that inspires you to reach for your dreams, and I think many people would find it interesting.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Janelle Stalder is a good friend of mine, and a fellow indie author. I love Janelle’s works because each one gets better and better, which shows a true commitment and knack for the craft. I’m really into the older authors beyond that, however, as I like to see what has been done, so I can try and do it better.

What are your current projects?

I am halfway through my first horror book, which will not be self-published, as I hope to find a house for it. I can’t tell you anything about it because it’s bad luck and also my best idea to date, in my opinion. After that I will be writing the sequel to my paranormal thriller, Joe. This is a title that has gotten tremendous feedback, and I’m going to do my best to make it even better than the first book. Following that I will write the final book in The Surah Stormsong Novels, Crossing Stars. So yeah, there will be a lot coming from me very soon.

Do you ever experience writer’s block? If yes, how do you get past it?

All the time! I usually can force myself to work through it, or I mull things over in my mind until my sometimes a-hole of a muse finally shows up. If that doesn’t work I read. Reading is my only sure way of recharging the creative batteries. Long walks help too. They let me free my mind and clear my head.

Who designed the cover?

Regina Wamba from Mae I Design does all my covers, and I think she is brilliant. She really has a true artistic eye for things.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Read. And write on. Forever and always, write on, brothers and sisters.

Do you have a day job as well?

I write full time now, and have been doing so for a little over two years. I’m not rich or anything, but I’m able to support myself and my children with my writing, which is all I could ever ask for. I am a mother though, so I suppose you could say I have that as my primary ‘job’. I’m just so happy I have been given the opportunity by readers to do the things I love with my life. I couldn’t have imagined anything more wonderful.

If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?

I don’t think so. Self-publishing is a journey. You learn things as you go. It’s a process of trial and error, and I think I get better at understanding it as time goes on. I like knowing how to produce a good book all by myself, keeping up with fans and marketing. It makes me feel empowered and fulfilled. Also, after two years, about 50,000 copies of my combined works have been read. That number isn’t huge, but it amazes me, and it makes me happy to know I’ve reached so many people with my stories, as well as hopeful for the future.

What is your Astrological Sign, do you feel it fits you?

I am a Leo, and yes, I suppose it fits. I’m a little crazy, but I also know who I am and am happy with it. I don’t know too much about astrological signs, in honesty, but I think I’d make a pretty good lioness, so Leo suits me just fine.

It’s Your Life…What actress would you have play you in a movie about your life? Why?

I can’t think of a single answer for this! But I can say that she would have to be someone who is friends with pain. I don’t mean that I’m always suffering, but I do let things reach into my soul when I see bad things happening to others, or just raw sadness. She would also have to be able to laugh at herself, though, because I definitely march to the beat of my own drummer.

Coffee, Tea or Soda?

I like both coffee and tea, but I don’t drink soda that much. Scientists say that there is no level of high fructose corn syrup that they can say is ‘safe’ to ingest. I’m trying hard to avoid all the poisons they are feeding us nowadays.

What is your favorite Cartoon Character?

I love cartoons! Probably because they are most of what I watch since I have two very young children. Ready for the list? Tommy Pickles, Finn and Jake, Mordecai and Rigby, Gru…pretty much all Disney/Pixar movies make me cry…I’m such a dork.



If you could be any Paranormal creature, what would you be?
 
Probably a werewolf, but only if I turned into an actual wolf, not a half-man, half-beast sort of thing. But I’d take any of them honestly! I’ve always been obsessed with the paranormal. As a kid I carved chopsticks into little stakes and carried them around with me. In case I had to slay a mean vamp, of course.

Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?

Yes. First, thank you so much for all the support. It means the world to me. Also, the second book in The Surah Stormsong Series, Falling Stars, comes out SEPTEMBER  15th, and if you’re interested you should mark your calendars because it will be available for $.99 for a very limited time.

Thank you so much for having me! xoxo



Shooting Stars Synopsis:

Surah Stormsong is one of the most powerful Sorceresses in the world. She is a princess who is next in line for the throne. As someone who has lost almost everything to this world, she only wants to pull away from it and live a normal life, but when Highborn ladies start being murdered and the Black Stone-a weapon that is capable of great destruction-goes missing, she is called upon to solve the issues and return her people to a state of safety.
But danger lurks inside the castle walls as well, and when she runs into Charlie Redmine, a common Sorcerer Surah met once as a child, things grow complicated very quickly. He is the main suspect of the murders, but Surah is powerless against the connection she feels to him. Time is ticking, and if she doesn't figure out what's going on things will go from bad to worse, and an entire kingdom will suffer for it.
From the author of the bestselling series, The Alexa Montgomery Saga, comes a tale ofstar-crossed lovers and magic, of hope and love and loss. The greatest question is, can love overcome all?



Falling Stars Synopsis:

Surah Stormsong's life has fallen down around her in the past week. Her father is in a coma induced by demon poison, two Highborn Sorceresses have been murdered, and a crazed Sorcerer by the name of Black Heart has made it his mission to take the kingdom for his own. As princess, and next in line to the throne, Surah is his primary target. But he's not the only one she has to look out for.
Now, Surah is on the run, having just helped Charlie Redmine escape from the castle dungeons. This makes her a traitor in the eyes of many, as Charlie is not only a common man suspected of murder and treason, but also Black Heart's younger brother.
The stars are crossed against the two lovers, the universe trying to keep them apart. In the end, will the stars align for Surah and Charlie, or will they fall from the heavens, dead and lifeless, like the tears of angels?