Google+ Followers

Friday, May 10, 2013

REVIEW & CHARACTER INTERVIEW/ RAKSHA by Frankie Rose


RAKSHA
BY FRANKIE ROSE
RELEASE DATE: 30.0413





BLURB

She has no name.

She has her knives, her training, and her halo.

The first and second give her the ability to defeat the opponents she is pitted against each month. The third frees her from pain and fear. From any kind of emotion at all. Everything is as it should be. Everything is as it should be, until…
 
Fear… Pain… Anger… Happiness… Desire… Guilt…

Love.

When a newly named Kit escapes the Sanctuary after killing her best friend, the last thing she needs is another knife in her hand. Or Ryka, the damaged, beautiful blond boy, whom she refuses to let save her. The sights and sounds of Freetown are new, yet one thing is familiar: the matches. The only difference? Where the blood in the Sanctuary landed only on the Colosseum floor, Kit will quickly learn that a river of red runs through Freetown’s very streets.

Without her halo, the inhabitants of Kit’s new home consider her saved, but is that really the case? Would she be better off free of the guilt associated with all the blood on her hands, or is the love of one boy worth living through all the pain?

Raksha is the call of the dead. It is the rumbling chant for fresh blood from the other side, the demand for sacrifice. The Colosseum is behind Kit. The fighting pits await.

 REVIEW BY

First all I have to say is WOW I am so in love with this book. I gotta say this book grabbed my attention from start to finish. It starts out with Falin Kitsch who wears a thing called a Halo that feed her drugs to keep away her emotions as she prepares for a fight to the death. She is shocked to learn the fight is with her long time friend and trainer Falin Asha. She knows something is not right with him but never says anything. During the fight she gets the feeling something is wrong and her halo is working overtime to stop her from feeling she doesn't know what to do when the fight draws near the end her friend breaks her halo and he dies. Falin Kitsch is stunned her halo is broken and she is feeling everything and to make matters worse her dead friends sister Penny wants her to come see her. Once there Penny informs her that Falin Asha halo had stopped working months ago and broke hers to get her out and that she needed to leave before anyone knew her halo was broken before she left penny gave her a holo stick and told her to watch it.
As Falin Kitsch Now called Kit runs for her life finds a way to escape once out she runs into a radical named Ryka who is also a fighter in his town called Freetown. Now once in Freetown a lot of things happen kit just doesn't know what to do yet she has all these feelings she has never felt before and is having a hard time making sense of them all. So many people are out to get her because she was a female fighter now that she is in freetown she shouldn't be fighting. Can Ryka save her or will they both save each other. I didn't give many details because it would ruin it for you if I did. Great Job Frankie Rose I am so excited and can’t wait for the next book to come out.



EXCERPT

I focus on him and clench my dagger in my hand. The sea of voices swells, and I’m certain I can pick out Miranda’s deranged shrieking, yelling over and over again, “End him! End him!”
Falin Asha’s brown eyes fix on me and it looks for a second like he’s crying. That can’t be right, though. I hover just out of his reach, staring at him. “What’s going on?”
He smiles crookedly and brushes his hair back out of his face. “It’s going to be okay, all right? Remember that.”
I’m so thrown by his comment that I am utterly unprepared for what he does next. The knife in his hand snakes out toward me, and I skitter away from him to the left.  He knows how I react, however, and he moves with me, my mirror image. He darts for me and does the unthinkable, something that spells the end to the fight and me along with it: he grabs hold of my striking arm at the wrist. A low gasp runs around the Colosseum, growing in pitch until it’s a rushing echo in my ears. I try and fumble for the Balisong on my belt, hoping I can flick it open and use it, but Falin Asha is there before me. He doesn’t knock my hand away, just holds his over it. He pulls me closer to him and sucks in a deep breath.
“Don’t let them see,” he hisses. With that, I feel a twisting movement between our two bodies, and then his eyes go wide. He looks stunned, the way Elin children do when they fall and they’re unsure whether they’re supposed to cry or not. I look down and see his own knife submerged up to the handle in his stomach. A cracking, bubbling noise comes out of his throat, and he smiles slowly at me. The whole Colosseum has gone deadly silent. I can think nothing other than this: What have you done? What on earth have you gone and done?



Interview with Kit

 Kit, it is nice of you to take the time to visit us today. I just have a few questions to help our readers better understand your story.


Why were you given that name?

Hi! Thanks for having me. My name, Kit, was a shortening of the title I held because of my House. In the Sanctuary, fighters don’t have real names. We’re known by the fact that we’re fighters, or Falin (pronounced Fah-LIN), and then whichever house we belong to. I was known as Falin Kitsch.

What is your hair color and style, eye color, and skin tone?

My hair is long and chocolate brown. I have hazel eyes and olive skin.

Who are your parents and where are they?

My father is the head of our House, Lowrence Kitsch. My birth mother doesn’t have a name. She used to be Fahlin, like me, before she became too old to fight in the Colosseum. Now she works in the Kitsch Household taking care of Lowrence and his wife, as well as my younger brother.

Do you have any siblings? If so, what are their names and ages?

I only have one younger brother. He is a year younger than me, 15 years old, and doesn’t have a name. He is Fahlin, after all. I left him behind when I escaped the Sanctuary, but I’m hoping that one day he will be able to join me and chose a name of his own.

What is your favorite thing to wear?

I wear my combat gear at all times, if possible. I’ve worn it my whole life, and it’s really hard to break that habit. Olivia, Ryka’s sister, is always trying to convince me to wear dresses and pretty things, but that’s just not me.

Do you have any irrational fears / phobias?

I’m terrified of water. I nearly drowned when I escaped the Sanctuary, though,  so I wouldn’t say it’s an irrational fear. It’s more of a very reasonable, I-nearly-died-and-definitely-don’t-want-to-go-through-that-again kind of fear.


What is your worst habit / vice?

My quick temper. I can be quite defensive sometimes. I’m working on it, but it’s hard to control all of my new emotions. Anger and hostility seem easier to handle than hurt and the more vulnerable things I feel. Those feelings seem dangerous.

What is your most cherished possession?

My knives, for sure. I’ve always worn them, always had them on hand. I don’t feel safe without them. Heck, I don’t feel properly dressed without them. They’re a symbol of status in the Sanctuary and that goes for Freetown, too. I’ve had to fight for the right to wear them in my new home, and I won’t be taking them off anytime soon.

What is the driving force / motivation in your life?

I’d say the biggest driving factors in my life right now are to repay the debt I owe to my friend, Caius; learning to overcome the guilt that I am burdened with because of all the things I have done in the past; and to figure out how to love someone. I’ve never experienced love, how powerful and overwhelming it can be, and it’s a challenge to figure out how it all works.

What crisis are you facing at the start of the story?

The crisis at the beginning of my story is one that continues to affect me. I’m a fighter, told to fight and kill my opponent no matter who they are. So when I’m told to kill my training partner, Caius, my only friend, I have no choice but to obey.

What would you never do, no matter the price?

I would never risk my friends and family again. Olivia, my brother, Ryka and Jack are the most important things in the world to me, and I would rather die than endanger them.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings? What do they mean to you?

I do have tattoos, two small ones, but I’m not spilling where they are or what they mean. That would be giving too much away!


What is your greatest talent?

Fighting. I’ve been trained to fight since I was four years old. I can read an opponent, watch how they telegraph their strikes by the way they move their bodies, where they’re looking with their eyes, and know exactly what I’m up against. It’s all I’ve ever known, and I’m pretty darned good at it.

What do you dislike most about your life? What is missing?

My brother. And the ability to handle my feelings properly. It’s a skill that I’m learning, but progress is slow and pretty grueling. I wish I could just flip a switch sometimes and go back to being completely emotionless, especially when I remember all of the people I’ve killed.

When in your life did you feel the most helpless?

Definitely when I started to feel for the first time. I didn’t know what the hell I was supposed to do; I was trapped in a very dangerous situation, where I would be punished if anyone discovered my secret. Figuring out what I needed to do, to leave the Sanctuary and my family behind, was very difficult.

I guess almost drowning was a close second, though. I’d never been in water before, let alone learned to swim, and being pinned in the water, being swept through the aqueduct, was incredibly frightening.

How would you define the word ‘love’?

If you’d have asked me that question a few weeks ago when I first started to feel, I wouldn’t have hesitated. I would defined love as weakness. Now, though, so much has changed. I can see exactly how love can change a person, make them better. Heal them. Now, I would define love as the exact opposite: Strength.

How have you evolved by the end of the story?

I’ve changed so much. In the beginning of Raksha, I’m a hollow, lifeless, emotionless being, who follows orders and kills on command. By the end of the story, I have developed into a strong person, capable of making her own decisions. I’m a loyal friend, and I’m slowly realising that it’s okay to let my guard down every once in a while, let someone take care of me and love me. I’m learning that it’s okay to love someone back.

Why should the reader care about your story?

I think the reader should care about my story because it transforms so much. I change exponentially, but so do the other characters. Ryka grows into himself as he sets his heart on me, pursuing me; Olivia develops and demonstrates heartbreaking sacrifice in order to try and heal; James is confounding--his actions and behavior will confuse the heck out of people while they try and figure out if he’s a good guy or a bad guy.

My world changes so dramatically, too. Freetown’s traditions are so completely different to where I grew up in the Sanctuary, and learning about the priestesses and their underhanded role in what happens to me is a must! 

AUTHOR BIO

Frankie Rose is a British expat, who is currently enjoying the perks of living in Australia- her awesome husband, sunshine, and vitamin D. She spends her time creating fictional universes in which the guy sometimes gets the girl, the heroes occasionally die, and the endings aren't always happy. But they usually are.







PURCHASE LINKS

Available from 30 April.


SITE LINKS

Twitter:@byfrankierose