Google+ Followers

Friday, February 22, 2013

Veiled Secrets by MaryLynn Bast

Veiled Secrets

By MaryLynn Bast


Series: Heart of a Wolf Series (Novella) { Seriana’s Tale}
Genre: Paranormal/ Werewolves
Publisher: Werewolf Tails Publishing
Release Date: July 27, 2012
Edition/ Formats Available In: Print & Ebook (Kindle)


Synopsis

  Seriana Aphenithea, Princess of the Light Loxy Realm has been banned. Why?  She can’t remember. She must find her way, and her memories, if she is ever to return home.
Waking with no memory of whom or where she is, Seriana runs for her life when two beings chase her through the forest. Glowing eyes stares out at her through the darkness. Sending a mental call for help and in response, two wolves emerge.
While protecting her from the hunters who intend to do her harm, one of the wolves becomes fatally injured. Acting on instinct, Seriana merges her energies with his, saving his life. Connecting her mentally to the human the wolf turned in to. Adam and Blake are werewolves. Surprisingly this does to scare her. In fact, it triggers the beginning of her memories. She has been to the earth realm before.
With her no longer allowed to enter her own realm, Seriana must find a way to safeguard her family in the Light Realm and on earth. She has to protect those around her by ensuring no one finds out her VEILED SECRETS. 

Review by




I did enjoy this book, but the story was a little bouncy when it came to what was actually going on. There were times I was confused with what was happening, if it was happening in the present or if Seriana was just remembering things.

The characters were built very well. I enjoyed the werewolves, Adam and Blake, stepping into the story. I so badly wanted for Adam and Seriana to kindle a little romance but to not spoil anything, I am glad that did not happen.

There are many different paranormal creatures in this book. I did enjoy that the main character was not the usual vampire or werewolf.

Though at times confusing this was a quick read and did draw me in enough to want to continue with the series. I can not wait to read in more detail the stories behind the other characters. I will give this hint...the ending definitely pulls the read in so that they want to continue reading the next book.
~~~~~~~~
Q&A

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
When I started reading and writing, I was always writing some kind of story. I am told that Mark Twain is my sixth great uncle on my mother’s side. If this is true, then writing is in my blood.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I come up with a great ending to a story and building my characters around that.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I love anything paranormal. Reading other stories, watching television, driving down the road, people watching and a little bit of nonchalant eavesdropping is a great way to come up with ideas.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I work for a contractor who does government contracts. I travel all over the US and at times to other countries to the US military bases and do inventory of the government assets and apply bar codes for tracking purposes.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
There is the misconception by family members and some people that writing and creating my books is just a “Thing” I am doing. It’s as if they think writing is easy and a phase I am going through, something I will eventual grow out of.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have 7 books that are published. 6 of these books are from my Heart of a Wolf Series and 1 is and erotic published through Sizzler Editions. Honestly my books are all special to me and I don’t have a favorite that has been published yet. But…..there is one I am working on Softest Touch. This book has been in the works before I published all the others. Once this one is published, I have a feeling it will be my favorite.

What do you think makes a good story?
Strong characters overcoming obstacles while dealing with their personal flaws with lots of twists and turns. I like surprises in a story and like to leave the reader with a warm fuzzy feeling, but wanting more.


Why did you choose to start the book with the estrangement of mother and daughter through banishment?
Dallia must protect her realm while protecting her daughter at the same time and this was the only way she could see protecting Seriana. The emotional impact of banishing a daughter and never seeing them would be terrifying for most mothers.

Most readers are familiar with vampires and werewolves in paranormal books. What made you decide to use Fey as your main character?
Great questions, you are making me think here!  J  When I first wrote Seriana’s character in No Remorse I did not have any plans for where she came from. When Werewolf Bound was written her role became clearer to me and I decided being from another realm would allow her to have the strange abilities she possessed.  So I guess you can say it just worked out that way.

Seriana struggles with memory loss during her adventure...how did that aspect of the story come into play?
Seriana’s memory loss ties into building her character as I went along.  Writing this story only took three days to complete. After I finished writing Werewolf Bound and started on Seriana’s tale, I knew that she was from a different place and the only way to have her in the earth realm was to have no memory of who or where she was come into play. Seriana discovered more about herself as I discovered it as well.
Looking back, would you change any character details or personal stories if you could? Who was your favorite character to write?
Seriana’s character details were set for me when I wrote her in as a minor character in No Remorse. I knew what she looked like even then. As far as her personal story, I would not change a thing. Even though she has no memory, she has to rely on others for help, yet she also retains her strong will to survive, learn and even fight.
When I am writing a story the main character is usually my favorite. Blake and Adam’s characters are at the top of being one of my favorites, though Darius is quickly moving into being a favorite for me.


~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt

Seriana stormed through the hotel room. “You are not leaving me here.”
His face was clouded with frustration. “Stubborn.”
Damn right she was being stubborn. She was not going to allow him to go out into the forest and face Christopher and possibly other vampires alone.
“I won’t put you in danger!” His voice rose slightly in his anger.
Folding her arms across her chest, she glared up at him. Her chin jutted out in determination. Then one corner of her lip lifted into a slight grin, she nodded and dropped her hands to her sides. “Okay fine, leave me here.” She plopped down on the bed and grabbed the remote.
Darius stilled, his own eyes narrowing at the sudden change in her attitude. He knew that never bode well. He studied her suspiciously. “Tell me you are not going to follow me.”
Seriana didn’t look at him. “Okay, I won’t.” Her eyes remained glued to the TV. “See you later.”
He stood with his hands on his hips shaking his head. “You don’t give up that easy.” He stepped over in front of the television, blocking her view.
Seriana lifted her eyes to him and smiled, making sure her mind was completely blocked to him. “You are the strategist for the Guard. You know what you are doing. So go do it and move out of the way, I’m trying to watch television.”
Darius stood staring at her for moment longer. “Keep the dagger with you and do not remove the necklace I gave you.” He turned, yanked the door open and stalked out, closing it with a thud.
Seriana remained where she was, her fingers tracing the garishly large silver cross around her neck on a thick silver necklace. Waiting for him to barge back in, she hid her grin when the door was shoved open.
Darius stood there shaking his head. “You don’t give up that easy.”
Releasing a sigh, she dropped the remote beside her where it bounced once on the fluffy comforter, and lifted her eyes to his. “I simply agree that you know what you are doing. I do not want to get in your way.”
He shook his head. “What are you up to?”
Glancing at the clock with an innocent look on her face, she turned back to him. “You are going to be late.”
With a huff, he turned and stormed out again.
This time, she waited a moment then jumped off the bed and opened the door a crack, ducking back inside when he turned at the end of the hallway and looked back towards their room. When she heard him turn to go, she followed.

Purchase Links



About Author
MaryLynn Bast moved to Las Vegas in 2010. As a consultant with a contractor for the US Military, she travels from base to base across the country and around the world. MaryLynn enjoys traveling and spending time with her family. In her free time she writes paranormal fantasies and erotica.               


Author Links